Bathing Robin

Herb

Lucky to catch this guy taking a bath.
ISO 1000, 1/640. 500 mm (750 cropped), F 9.
Bathing Robbin .jpg

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
Hi Herb,

Another nice shot. I'm wondering how far you were away from the bird in this one. Whoops, I see it now. You were at the full 500mm. Great photo from so far away. Was this handheld?

Herb

Hi Herb,

Another nice shot. I'm wondering how far you were away from the bird in this one. Whoops, I see it now. You were at the full 500mm. Great photo from so far away. Was this handheld?
ITo tell then truth, I do not remember if this was hand held. Probably not, because I do take my tripod to this particular spot on the Island. It has been botherng me lately that I do not hand hold that much when shooting at 500. I am missing to many good shots because the tripod slows me on birds in flight, animals running, etc. I went out a few days ago shooting egrets at a park near me determined to leave the tripod home. I did pretty well at 500 mm. because I started using a different focus technique which does a better job of tracking. It all boils down to that golden rule, READ THE MANUAL, and know all the ins and outs of your camera. Also,I didn't realize I was shooting at ISO 1000, something I rarely do, but I discovered that the noise reduction in Adobe RAW, and define in the NIK program dealt nicely with the noise.

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
Yes, I was going to ask you about the ISO 1000, but I figured that you had everything set the way you saw fit. We've had that little mishap occur our way as well. For some reason, one of our ISO values was set to 6400 or some crazy number like that. Things like that are hard to keep track of when in the middle of taking exciting photos. I have no idea how it got set up so high though.

I agree though - tripods definitely slow you down when it comes to photographing wildlife. I guess it's a trade-off. You get the great shots nice and up close, but that type of lens comes with potential camera shake. It's very good though, as evidenced by your photography.