Creating a Lower Third Graphic For Video in Adobe Photoshop

JGaulard

Staff member
The term "lower third graphic" may be foreign to many of you if you don't work with video a lot. If you do, you've probably heard of these things. Basically, this type of graphic covers the lower portion of a video and is somehow informative. It usually tells who is speaking and a bit about them or what's being shown in a scene. This type of thing is extremely popular on newscasts. There's always text flying around at the bottom of the screens during all types of news related shows.

The reason for the popularity of lower third graphics is because they don't take up a lot of room, are generally unobtrusive and can help the viewer gain an understanding of what's going on with what he or she is watching. I actually just wrote a very informative post about how to create a lower third graphic on the blog. I encourage you to take a look at it, as it's got lots of valuable information in it. I walk through the entire process that's necessary to include this type of graphic in your video.

In this post, I'd like to discuss one small area of applying this type of graphic. It has to do with the layout of the text. If you take a look at the post I linked to above, you'll see a screenshot (actually a few screenshots) that contain guides in them. These guides are light blue lines and they dictate where certain content in the lower third graphic should go. Because of how video is seen through different mediums and players, it's much more practical to contain the informative content of these graphics within certain boundaries. Hence the guides.

When setting up a file, you can choose to use a preset template that Adobe Photoshop offers. In the case of the example I used in the post I wrote, I took advantage of the 1920x1080 pixel video template. This template was specifically designed with lower third graphics in mind. It contains eight guides that comprise two rectangles. The inner rectangle is called a "title safe" area, which means that if you place the title text and other informative text inside of the guides that make up the rectangle, the text will be far enough away from the edges of the video that it will be safe from the varied views that all the player options out there offer.

This is a very important aspect of creating lower third graphics. The importance of the layout and position of the elements inside of them can't be understated. If you think about it, what's the use of displaying informative text that pertains to a video if you can't see it clearly or at all?

Again, please read through my entire post. What I just discussed above was only a small part of it. In the post, I describe how to assemble the graphic itself.

If you have any questions or advice on this topic, please ask or tell down below. Thanks!