Dickenson's kestril

Herb

Frank, our Kenyan driver/guide had a remarkable eye for spotting birds from seemingly nowhere. He was also a walking bird guide book for that region of Africa. This kestril was pretty far off, but posing in just the right position, and the lighting couldn't have been better. SONY alpha 77m2 f 6.3, ISO 200, 1/500, 500 mm (750 mm cropped)

Dickenson's kestril.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
Wow, this is a nice shot. Especially for being at 500mm. Very high quality. We're starting to see large hawks on the property here. They've been perched in the trees along the boundaries, looking at the birds coming to the bird feeders. That only means one thing. They're hunting for the little guys.

Herb

Wow, this is a nice shot. Especially for being at 500mm. Very high quality. We're starting to see large hawks on the property here. They've been perched in the trees along the boundaries, looking at the birds coming to the bird feeders. That only means one thing. They're hunting for the little guys.
It must really be exciting living where you are in Maine. I can imagine all of the wildlife around you. I probably would be carrying my camera around with me whenever I ventured out of doors. On Staten Island we have had the development of a sizeable herd of deer that have been venturing out of the parks and onto the streets eating the lawn plantings of people who live close to the woods. The deer have actually swam across the Raritan Bay which separates New Jerey from Staten Ialand, and have been breeding successfully on the Island. No predators, and NO hunting within New York City have allowd them to multiply too rapidly.
We also have a huge wild turkey population on the Island living on the streets. At first they were enjoyable, but they have become emboldened, ignoring cars, chasing people on occassion, messing up people's lawn's etc.
We have a couple of bald eagles that everyone is aware of, an osprey, tons of egrets, and don't forget our seals.I was walking in a park near me, and noticed a skunk.

Last edited:

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
The deer actually swam across Raritan Bay? I wonder why they did that. I suppose it was a good idea on their part because life is good over near you. If I were a deer, I'd want to do that too, but I wouldn't want to go for the initial swim. It really does sound like you've got a good amount of wildlife near you. That, plus the city so close by, makes for some very exciting photography.