Do I Always Need to Use my Camera's Flash?

• Thread starter JGaulard
  • Start date
JGaulard

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
I rarely, if ever, use my camera's flash. I think you'll hear this same sentiment from professional photographers as well. While the built in flash that comes standard with almost every camera does illuminate a scene, it can appear absolutely awful in the final photograph. I'm sure you've seen images that have been completely blown out with light in the foreground, only to reveal horrible dark shadows in the background. If there's one thing you need to be careful of when it comes to photography, it's when you should and when you shouldn't use a flash.

While I don't use the built-in flash, I am a firm believer and strong proponent of external flash units. These types of flash units can be used for some stellar effects, such as bouncing light off a wall near your subject to illuminate it more softly and from a different direction than head on, while outside to add directionality to an already illuminated subject, for cool effects at night, light trails, freezing motion, and so forth. You would definitely not want to use a flash during dark concerts and events, candid photography of random people, and when there's ample light during the daytime. I know I mentioned adding some flair to the sides or the background of an object during the daytime hours, but this time I'm saying not to use the flash head on.

While flashes have their place in photography and can create some very good effects, you really do need to be careful when using them. Especially when using the built in flash that sits on top of your camera or using any flash at the wrong time. A time that doesn't call for additional light.

Here are a few articles that discuss this very topic. Please feel free to click through to read up.

------

When You Should and Should NOT use a Flash
10 Tips for Better Flash Photography
When to Use Flash

M

mariah

I do not really like to use my flash. I use Nikon D5300 and though I am a beginner I almost never use flash. Flash catches details but to me it was always a no. Even in extreme low light, I normally prefer to take photos without lights and they come out good.

JGaulard

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
mariah said:
I do not really like to use my flash. I use Nikon D5300 and though I am a beginner I almost never use flash. Flash catches details but to me it was always a no. Even in extreme low light, I normally prefer to take photos without lights and they come out good.
I agree. I think the flash effect looks horrible in so many ways. Obviously, flash is used by the pros and in those cases, the result is pleasing because they know what they're doing. In most cases though, the average photographer can do some real damage to their photos by the use of their camera's flash. I would suggest introducing another light source in most cases.

Do I Always Need to Use my Camera's Flash? was posted on 02-17-2020 by JGaulard in the General Photography Talk forum.

Search