Elephant

Herb

elephant  copy.jpg
This big bull was fairly close. Our driver Frank, loved to see how close he could get to the big guys.
Shot at F8, 1/1000, ISO 400, and 300 mm ( 450 mm when cropped) . This was one of many thrilling moments on tihs trip.

Last edited:

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
Yes, I would say this big guy looks close all right. This is a wonderful photo. Let me ask you something; how do you like to set your camera for these types of shots? Are you in shutter priority, aperture priority or full manual? Or auto? I'm just thinking that with the lighting situation, your camera wouldn't put itself at 1/1000, so I have to guess that you did that on purpose. Or perhaps it would, if it was very bright out there. Either way, the shots are very clear and I'm sure that fast shutter speed had something to do with that.

Herb

Yes, I would say this big guy looks close all right. This is a wonderful photo. Let me ask you something; how do you like to set your camera for these types of shots? Are you in shutter priority, aperture priority or full manual? Or auto? I'm just thinking that with the lighting situation, your camera wouldn't put itself at 1/1000, so I have to guess that you did that on purpose. Or perhaps it would, if it was very bright out there. Either way, the shots are very clear and I'm sure that fast shutter speed had something to do with that.
On situations like this, I used to shoot shutter priority, but within the last 4 years I have gone to FULL Manual. Full manual is a great mode for the camera I use. The SONY allows me to look through the viewfinder ( I never view through the screen) and what I see is what I get. I make my adjustments before shooting while viewing thrugh the finder. If it's very bright, I will count that as a blessing, and increase my shutter speed, or if's scenery I am after I may increase my f stop. It all depends on what I am after. I might add, that I have learned through some heartache, that when shooting wildlife, my first thought is the subject which I wiill shoot at the highest practical speed, and adjust f stop accordingly. Also, if it's really extremely bright, I'll drop my ISO to 200.

Last edited by a moderator: