Feasting Lions

Herb

This had to be my most difficult photo ever. Our guide stopped the jeep and pointed way, way out on the plain. He said there were lions eating a wlldebeest. I could barely see them . With the camera, and lens I could just about see them a bit better than with the naked eye. Zooming in helped. Not expecting too much, I took the photo, and using the crop tool in ADOBE RAW, I was able to save the photo. I must add, that before I took this trip I went on-line to a photo site, trying to get tips on safari photography. They suggested 2 things. The exact lens which I already had, and 2- An extral large bean bag which I promptly bought. I owe this photo to the bean bag. This was shot at 1/250, f8.0, 500 mm (750 mm cropped), and ISO 800.0421 Lions eating wildebeest copy.jpg

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
Wow. You are a lucky man for owning that 500mm lens. I guess the lesson here is to bring a lens that can reach the very good scenes when in Africa. Nice job Herb. This is a rare photo indeed!

Herb

Wow. You are a lucky man for owning that 500mm lens. I guess the lesson here is to bring a lens that can reach the very good scenes when in Africa. Nice job Herb. This is a rare photo indeed!
I originally had the 150-500 Sigma zoom, but fortunately I realized that then 50-500 would be better for me in the jeep. There were many times that the 150 would be too close to some of the critters we came in contact with. What I found to be most important as I said before was a simple thing like a huge bean bag. It acted as a great stabilizer on the bars of the jeep. I saw quite often in other jeeps people who spent tons of money for this type of trip, had huge hand held lenses extended all the way out hand holding it. It just doesn't make sense. At least maybe use towels from the lodge.

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
Agreed. Those bean bag stabilizers are great, especially when you're on a trip such as the one you went on. It's be crazy not to think about stabilizing a 500mm lens. I've heard such great things about those bean bags. A towel would have been good too.