Hippo

Herb

Our guide took us to a hippo pool . Probably over 100 hippos congregated in an isolated part of a river.
all of the hippos were at one time yawning, roaring or grunting, and I was following them with my zoom, jumping from one to another trying to catch one in the act. I finally settled in on one, and just waited. After about 5 minutes, I was rewarded.
f 6.3, ISO 400, 1/1000, 500 mm (750 cropped)
0216 hippo mouth copy.jpg

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
Another phenomenal shot Herb! Your patience with that one hippo paid off, for sure. It's the yawn that matters! I once heard that the hippo is the most vicious animal on the planet. I've also seen that they are quite fast when they want to be. On top of that, I've watched videos where hippos fight for dominance on the beaches. They call the winner, "Beach Master."

Herb

Another phenomenal shot Herb! Your patience with that one hippo paid off, for sure. It's the yawn that matters! I once heard that the hippo is the most vicious animal on the planet. I've also seen that they are quite fast when they want to be. On top of that, I've watched videos where hippos fight for dominance on the beaches. They call the winner, "Beach Master."
I had heard this before our trip to Africa, and our guide told us this also, that more people are killed by hippos than any other animal . They are extremely territorial, and challenge anything that wanders into their space. I certainly would not think of kayaking in their waters.

Photographers! Show Off Your Photos!

Advertisement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaauydaaa