How Can I Turn On & Off the Highlight Alerts For Canon Rebel T7i?

I've been looking all over for this answer. I've seen many videos out there that talk about what's known as "blinkies" for Canon cameras. These are the highlight alerts or highlight warnings to blink when you review your photos. If one area of a picture is overexposed, the area that's pure white will blink and if it's underexposed, the pure black area will blink. I took a few demo shots and can see areas that are blinking when I'm in the review mode, but I can't see where to turn this feature on and off. Does anyone know where I can do this on my Canon Rebel T7i (800D)?

LukeLewis

If memory serves, I don't think you can turn the highlight alerts (blinkies) on and off with your camera. On the Canon Rebel T7i, they're always on while in a specific review mode. After you have taken a photo, click the review play button down at the bottom of the back of your camera. The right side, down at the bottom. By default, you should see the entire image in large format. If you click on the INFO button up at the top left area of the rear of your camera, you'll see some information pertaining to the photo you've taken. If you push that same INFO button a second time, the photo image will shrink and make room for a histogram as well as some more information that pertains to the image. It's in this mode that you'll see the overexposed and underexposed areas of your shot blinking. I have searched around and I think this feature is on all the time by default. I don't think you can turn it off. I know that on other more expensive models, you can turn it on and off in the menu settings, but not yours. Please correct me anyone if I am mistaken.

The reason these highlight warnings are so important is because, upon review, you can see which areas of your shot are overexposed. Then, you can set your exposure compensation to let in less light and take your shot again. Keep checking your photos to make sure there are no overexposed areas in them after taking your shots. If there are and if they're persistent, you may need to bracket your photos. This means that you'll need to capture multiple image at different exposures and then merge them together in post processing.