How Do I Set Longer Than 30 Seconds Shutter Speed?

I own a Canon Rebel T3i as well as a Canon Rebel T7i and I am interested in taking some night photography. My problem is that I can't figure out how to set the shutter speed for longer than 30 seconds. That's all it goes. How do I set the shutter speed for longer than 30 seconds?

KodyWallice

What you're referring to here is called Bulb Mode. This mode will keep the camera's shutter open for as long as you hold your finger on the shutter button. Of course, since you'll be taking long exposure shots, you don't want to actually keep your finger on the button because you might shake the camera. You'll want to use a remote shutter button or take advantage of the Canon app you can download to your phone or tablet. I think you can control the shutter button from there.

Anyway, to set your camera to Bulb Mode, you need to switch it to full Manual mode. You can't get to this setting from Shutter Priority Mode or another mode. It needs to be in Manual. Once in that mode, turn the top dial to the left (I think). This slows down the shutter speed. Right after you get to 30 seconds, you'll see Bulb show up. That's where you want to be.

Photographers! Show Off Your Photos!

Advertisement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grallot40