How Do I Turn Off Auto Suggestions in Google Search?

LukeLewis

This has got to be one of the most annoying things about using Google as a search engine. I have to guess that predictive search is handy for some people in some cases, but for me, it's highly irritating. I can't remember my exact search terms or phrases, but just this morning, I searched for something like "flower" and Google decided to predict that I was really trying to search for "Flower on Top of Ms. Daisy's Head." It wasn't that ridiculous, but it was so annoying to have to erase the additional words that were added to my simple one word that I was checking the spelling on.

By the way, The feature I'm referring to here is officially called Google Predictive Search. I've seen it called auto-complete, auto-suggestion, auto-fill and a few other things. I believe all those features are in existence, but they have to do with things other than having Google add words to what you type into their search field or Chrome's address bar.

So, how do you turn it off? That's easy. Follow these simple instructions:

• Access the menu in the Chrome web browser by clicking the three small dots in the upper right corner.
  • When the menu opens up, click the Settings option.
  • Now, in the menu on the upper left corner, click and select the Search Engine option.
  • On the page that loads, scroll down to the bottom and click on the Advanced link.
  • Finally, click the switch that's located to the right of the words, Use a Prediction Service to Help Complete Searches and URLs Types in the Address Bar.
You can take a look at the screenshot thumbnail below to see what that switch looks like. I turned mine off recently and I'll have to see if I want to turn it back on. I like the URL completion, but I don't like search completion. I hope this helps!

Attachments

Photographers! Show Off Your Photos!

Latest posts

Follow Us on Facebook!