How to Create a Clipping Mask For Multiple Layers in Photoshop

LukeLewis

I'm going to continue on with my last entry here. In my previous entry, I explained how to duplicate a bunch of shapes in Photoshop the easy way. In this entry, I'd like to show you how you can just as easily create a clipping mask that will show the background photo through the shapes. Where there isn't a shape, nothing will show. This is basically how you can turn an image into a shape. It's very cool.

Okay, I've got the shapes all set up. They're aligned with the guides that were previously set up. What I'll need to do now is to group all of those shapes together so the clipping mask affects the entire group as opposed to just the shape that's directly below it. If you'll recall, clipping masks are limited to affecting only the very next layer, so if that layer is a group, everything inside of the group gets affected. To group the shapes, I'll select all of them in the Layers panel and then I'll use the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+G or Command+G. After I do that, I'll unlock the bottom image layer and drag that to the spot right above the group. Here's what the Layers panel will look like.

Next, I'll need to create the actual clipping mask itself. I'll go up to the Layer > Create Clipping Mask menu item and click.

Watch what happens when I do this. Check out what the image turns into.

How's that? If I wanted to add a colored background, I could simply add another layer and fill that layer in with any color I wanted. If you forgot what the shapes that I arranged on this image looked like, you can check out my previous post. It's all there.

Do you have any questions regarding how to create clipping masks in Adobe Photoshop? If so, please ask below. Thanks!