How to Easily Remove a Colorcast in Photoshop

I've got the best tip for you today. I have been working on a bunch of photos over this past weekend and because of the sun or my camera or whatever, each and every picture has a colorcast in it. I looked up many different methods for removing the colorcast, but they all seemed so long winded. I wanted a few steps that were easy to understand and very fast that would do the same thing. I think I found that.

Okay, for some reason, most of my nature shots come out with a lot more green or yellow than they are supposed to. I shoot in RAW, so maybe that has something to do with it. Whatever the reason, I like to get those unwanted colors out of my photos. I'll show you what I learned as far as removal goes down below using a stock photo I found. I'm going to use this photo because the change is pretty dramatic. It's got a real orange overlay colorcast and when it's removed, it's pretty obvious.

This is the original picture.

original-orange-colorcast.jpg

To do this, I first opened up the picture in Photoshop. Then, I applied a Curves adjustment layer, which opens up the Properties panel for that adjustment. Once the panel opened, I saw the Auto button. I took a screenshot and circled this button in red.

properties-auto-button.jpg

Instead of adjusting this image by hand and guessing at what to change about it, I can use Photoshop's built in intelligence to do the work for me. Trust me, it does a much better job than I can do and I can always go back and adjust things afterwards.

I'll hold down the Alt (Option on Mac) key on my keyboard and then click once on the Auto button. This is what will happen. The Auto Color Correction Options dialog box will appear. Take a look.

auto-color-correction-options.jpg

From here, I'll click on the Enhance Per Channel Contrast and then beneath that, I'll check the Snap Neutral Midtones box that appears. Here are the settings.

snap-neutral-midtones.jpg

If I roll over this check box area, I'll see a tool tip appear that says, "Adjust midtones so that colors that are close to neutral are mapped to the target neutral color (Autocolor). This box does a lot. You can see the red, green and blue lines in the curves box above. They've been automatically altered in an effort to get to neutral colors.

When I'm finished, I'll click the OK button and this is what I'll see as the final image.

final-color-corrected-photograph.jpg

Not only were the colors corrected, some contrast was added as well. Not bad for such an easy and fast process.

Do you have a method for getting rid of a colorcast in your photos? If so, please let me know below. Thanks!