Hyena

Herb

What can be said about a hyena. They even look vicious. Certainly not your cuddly type. To really appreciate them, we were lucky to see a pack of them hanging around the carcass of a wilderbeest while the lions were feeding. Darting in, one by one to grab a scrap of meat. They certainly are interesting though, and part of the ecological system. f 7.1, 1/3200, ISO 400, 330 mm Cropped to 495 mm)

hyena .jpg

Last edited:

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
I'm telling you Herb, this photo can be on the cover of a magazine. Excellent job. I saw a video once where a man was raising hyenas. It was very interesting. Hyenas have a bad name because they're crazy, but they don't look too crazy in the video. Take a look:

Herb

I'm telling you Herb, this photo can be on the cover of a magazine. Excellent job. I saw a video once where a man was raising hyenas. It was very interesting. Hyenas have a bad name because they're crazy, but they don't look too crazy in the video. Take a look:

Well Jay,
Your hyena video certainly contradicted what I said about hyenas not being the cuddly type. I still would prefer a cat rather than a hyena as a house pet. I can just about imagine bringing one of these creatures to the vet.I am seanding this video all the way to Kenya,and to Tanzania to the 2 guides we had on our Africa trip. I am sure they would get a kick out of this.

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
I guess there's a lot that people don't know about hyenas. Still, even as cuddly as they may be under some circumstances, I can't help but to think one of them is going to take a bite out of that guy one of these days. I think I read in the comment section that he's had his arm broken twice by them. That's what you get if you try to hang out with hyenas, I suppose.