Introducing the Face-Aware Liquify Filter

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
I guess Adobe has either invented or has licensed some very slick facial recognition technology because it's incorporated it into Photoshop in full force. You've got to see it in action. It's impressive, to say the least. Take a look at the post I wrote yesterday on the Face-Aware Liquify Filter for a complete rundown of its features and for instructions on how to use it. In this post today, I'll merely give you a synopsis.

Okay, so if you open a photograph of someone's face in Adobe Photoshop, the first thing you'll want to do is convert the image layer into a Smart Object. You know, right-click on the layer and then select Convert to Smart Object from the menu options. Then, head up to the Filter > Liquify menu item up top and click that. This will bring you into the Liquify palette.

There's a lot going on inside of the Liquify palette, but when you're working on editing someone's face, all you need to concern yourself with is the Face-Aware Liquify panel over in the right column and the Face Tool in the left toolbar. Both of these tools work in conjunction with one another.

In my post, I describe how to go about using both of these tools, so please click through and check out those instructions. Here, I'd like to merely tell you what you can do. Not exactly how you can do it.

Let's see, here's a list of what you're capable of editing via the Face-Aware Liquify panel on the right:

Eyes
  • Eye Size
  • Eye Height
  • Eye Width
  • Eye Tilt
  • Eye Distance
Nose
  • Nose Height
  • Nose Width
Mouth
  • Smile
  • Upper Lip
  • Lower Lip
  • Mouth Width
  • Mouth Height
Face Shape
  • Forehead
  • Chin Height
  • Jawline
  • Face Width
With the Face Tool in the left toolbar, you have the capability of clicking and dragging to make adjustments to any facial feature I just listed above as well as clicking and dragging to actually move the facial feature around the face, within reason. For instance, if I wanted to move an eye or both eyes, I could position them in a limited fashion with the sliders on the right, but I could also simply click and drag while using the Face Tool on the left. And with the Face Tool, I have more liberty in regards to where I can move the eyes. Simply put, I can drag them around a lot father than I'd be able to with just the sliders.

In conclusion, I encourage you to take a look at this somewhat new tool (2016) in Adobe Photoshop. It's extremely easy to figure out and to get used to. There's only one way to do things, which makes it rather intuitive. Also, if you would like to read more about this tool and see screenshots while you're doing it, please visit my post on the topic. Do you have any questions or anything you'd like to share regarding this tool? If so, please add them below. Thanks!

Photographers! Show Off Your Photos!

Advertisement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaauydaaa