Lens Help - Deciding Between Two Wide Angle Lenses

I

IJMicky12

Hey all,

I'm currently looking into purchasing a lens or two for my canon rebel sl1. I've taken an interest in landscape photography, so a wide angle seems appropriate. I would also like to pursue astrophotography. I've been doing some research on lenses but would really appreciate some feedback on what you all think.
How significant will the difference in quality be with astrophotography when comparing lenses that can open to 1.4 aperature vs. 2.8? I ask because I'm torn between getting what seems like an all around lens that can do everything fairly well like this Tokina. Or should I invest slightly more $$ into two lenses one specifically for wide angle landscape like this Canon, and one designed for astrophotography like this Rokinon - check out the amazing star photos this guy gets with this lens Youtube.

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
JGaulard

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
Excellent question Ian. And might I also add, very well written!

Okay, so here's my opinion. I guess we need to get past the fact that we're going to find a sweet F/1.2 10mm wide angle lens for $300. That's a given. I just did a quick look and found a 24mm F/1.4 for about $1500. Any wider than that will only get more expensive. There seems to be dozens of 10mm Canon or Canon-fitting wide angle lenses at F/2.8, F/3.5, and F/4.5 apertures in our price range, but those won't do what we want when it comes to astrophotography. So we need to put the dream of cheap star photography to bed. Not that you can't get it reasonably priced, but out of one lens? No.

For regular daytime and dusk wide angle photography, I'd personally pick up the Tokina you referred to. It's very wide, has a quiet auto-focus motor, which matters for any type of video you'll be shooting and the aperture is actually pretty wide. You'll be able to get some nice shots during the blue hour, that's for sure. I just checked and it fits your camera. The only problem is, it's currently listed for $379. I think I saw it used for $299 a while ago. That's why I put this one in my shopping cart. It's been sitting there for about a year.

Camera Settings For Photographing During the Blue Hour

Whoops, it's actually selling used on Amazon right now for $298. That's a great price. And that comes with free delivery.

Moving on. Here's the problem with star photography. The primary issue has to do with very little light in the atmosphere. Because of this low light, you'll either need to step up your ISO values, which will result in tons of grain, or you'll need to decrease your shutter speed so the shutter stays open for longer than 30 seconds. As I mentioned to you, longer than 30 seconds causes light trails and I'm sure you don't want that. Take a look at these star photos I took a while ago. You most likely can't see it, but they're full of grain. It's terrible.

How to Take Pictures of the Stars – Astrophotography

As I stated in the post, I captured these images with my Canon 24mm F2.8 lens. While the coverage was okay, the amount of light allowed into the lens was no where sufficient. I wasn't even going to try with my Sigma 10-20mm F/4. The photos would have come out horribly.

The only other place you can look for light is your aperture, so you're definitely on the right trail when it comes to that. The Rokinon lens you linked to above seems like it's got good reviews. I definitely wouldn't go any smaller than F/1.4 though. I'd love to see an F/1 or F/1.2 someplace in the same price range. Or even something a bit wider than 24mm. The focal length sometimes doesn't matter too much because of the way the manufacturer bends the glass, so you'll just need to check out the sample photos in the reviews.

Another reason you'll likely need a dedicated astrophotography lens is because you're eventually going to want to capture the Milky Way (like in the sample review shots). That's super low light and only a huge aperture will get you there.

Now that we've pretty much decided on a great daylight wide angle lens (I'm so presumptuous), are there any other options for astrophotography lenses that you like? Maybe three different models that we can analyze?

If this were me, I would pick up the Tokina first to practice with. You can do both star shots as well as regular wide angle photography. Then, once you've gotten bored with that, look into getting the purely astrophotography lens.

Last edited by a moderator:
JGaulard

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
PS - I would choose the Tokina over the Canon for regular wide angle landscape. It's got a larger aperture and that's just awesome to have.

JGaulard

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
Oh yeah, one more thing, I'm wondering if @laurag can post a few sample shots that she took of the lake the other day with the Sigma 10-20mm. With our cropped sensors that our cameras come with, the 10mm will essentially be seen as a 16mm, but that's still super wide. With a 24mm lens attached to your camera, you'll be seeing what a full frame camera would see at 38mm. Be careful here because those sample shots you're seeing on the Amazon page may have been taken with full frame cameras. You may not see similar results. Yours may be much more narrow.

laurag

laurag

Pro Member
Oh yeah, one more thing, I'm wondering if @laurag can post a few sample shots that she took of the lake the other day with the Sigma 10-20mm. With our cropped sensors that our cameras come with, the 10mm will essentially be seen as a 16mm, but that's still super wide. With a 24mm lens attached to your camera, you'll be seeing what a full frame camera would see at 38mm. Be careful here because those sample shots you're seeing on the Amazon page may have been taken with full frame cameras. You may not see similar results. Yours may be much more narrow.
clearwater-lake.jpg

house.jpg

Last edited:
I

IJMicky12

Thanks for the replies! I decided to order both the Tokina and the Rokinon. I'll be sure to share my experience with both lenses soon!

Lens Help - Deciding Between Two Wide Angle Lenses was posted on 02-08-2020 by IJMicky12 in the Cameras & Gear forum. Click to visit our most recent posts or return to the photography forum homepage.