Maine Mountains & Sunset

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
A few days ago, I purchased an ATV. I've been waiting to buy an ATV since I moved to Maine back in 2013. To live in our area without some sort of toy on which to ride up into the woods is a sin. I've been feeling bad about it, so I bit the bullet and got one. And it's marvelous. It was exactly what I wanted and I'm so pleased with my purchase. Here's a photo of it. It's a 2018 Polaris Sportsman 850.

sportsman-850.jpg

Okay, I wasn't going to talk about the ATV here, but I just couldn't help myself. I suppose it does have to do with photography though because this will be the machine that brings my camera and me to all those incredible places I wouldn't be able to get to on foot. Maine is chock full of great photo ops; you just have to find a way to get to them.

Anyway, the moment I unloaded this ATV from my truck after I purchased it, I put my camera (and my new Canon 24mm lens) into my bag and took a ride up the road. We've got over 1500 acres of playground up there and ATVs are welcome. It's a great place to ride and there are some wonderful views of the mountains. On my ride home, I kept a close eye on the sky and just as I pulled in the driveway, the sun dipped out of sight. I knew I had to get up into the hills quickly, so that's what I did.

After about 10 minutes of riding, I found the spot. I was rolling down a hill and it hit me. Check this out.

maine-mountains-sunset.jpg

Camera: Canon Rebel T7i
Shutter Speed: 1/40
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 24mm
Exposure Compensation: +1

Beautiful, isn't it? I've seen this view so many times and I love it every one of them. I actually had to take a few different shots of this because each photo was coming out very dark. Because of the bright sky, the mountains were nearly black. It wasn't until I increased my camera's exposure compensation to +1 that the mountains came out a bit brighter. And then I had to brighten things up even more in Adobe Camera Raw. There is still some clipping in the darker areas, but since I'm only posting this photo in this forum, I'm fine with that. It looks good enough to share.

You can be sure there will be more photos like this to come.