Ngorongoro Crater

Herb

In preparing for this trip, I was aware of the danger of changing lenses frequently . Dust is everywhere, and I was determined to keep the big Sigma 50-500 on my camera, changing only in the jeep with the windows closed, or in my lodge in the late afternoons, or the evenings. I took along my old SONY alpha 77( the model before my alpha 77mark ll) primarily to use as a back up camera. It wasn't until I was faced with missing some great scenery shots when it occurred to me to put my standard lens ( SONY 18-250mm) onto my backup, and leave it at the ready in my camera bag. DUH ! Switching cameras was a NO brainer. SO I had those 2 cameras, plus a really great point and shoot the SONY RX 100 lll which I bought for this trip.
This shot was taken on the 45 minute drive back to our lodge at the top of the crater after an incredible game drive. F 16, 1/250, ISO 200, 18 mm( 27 mm cropped)
By the way, the crater was formed by the explosion of a volcano 2-3 million years ago. The original volcano was 14,800 to19,000 feet high. The crater is about 100 square miles in area, and is 2,000 feet deep. That must have been one heck of an explosion to blow the cone away.

Ngorongoro crater.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
That was a good decision to go with the F/16. You've got sharpness from front to back on this one. I like this shot a lot. I actually looked up some information on this crater right before I posted my last message about it for your other photo. I didn't know if it was created by a meteor or what. Come to find out, it was a volcano. I had no idea it was this large though. That's an insane size for a volcano. Great shot Herb!

Herb

That was a good decision to go with the F/16. You've got sharpness from front to back on this one. I like this shot a lot. I actually looked up some information on this crater right before I posted my last message about it for your other photo. I didn't know if it was created by a meteor or what. Come to find out, it was a volcano. I had no idea it was this large though. That's an insane size for a volcano. Great shot Herb!
What I love about my SONY is that they have a function called peaking, which I find helps out with depth of field much better than the depth of field preview button.