Photography Challenge #6 - Framing - Surround Your Subject

• Thread starter JGaulard
  • Start date
JGaulard

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
When it comes to photography, framing is a lot of fun. In the most basic sense, framing is simply arranging or taking advantage of already existing elements in a scene to surround your primary subject. The subject could be an object or an entire scene in itself. The frame in a photograph helps the viewer direct his or her attention to the subject. In all my years of practicing photography, I've seen hundreds of different types of frames. I personally enjoy using close by branches to frame a landscape, but I've seen all types of frames, including hands around a face, animals between trees, mountains around a city, and so much more. To get an idea what what good framing is, let's take a look at the examples down below.

In this first example photograph, I'm sure you can guess what the subject is. Yes, it's the airplane. I can't tell if this photo was taken facing down into water or up into the sky, but it really doesn't matter. The pipes do a wonderful job of surrounding the subject.

airplane-flying.jpg

This next photo is like something I'd find myself doing. This is probably because I've taken advantage of close by branches dozens of times. I like to situate myself so branches are on either side, but I also like to shoot through just one tree for a much tighter frame.

lake-mountain-pines.jpg

This is simply a magnificent photograph. It's based on timing, which makes it even more stellar. The drawbridge is interesting in its own right, but having it open to reveal the building behind it is even better.

lifted-bridge-building.jpg

And finally, when taking river shots, it's sometimes tough to know what your subject is, besides it being the river or the overall scene. By shooting through an arched bridge like this, you add much more focus to a scene. It's difficult not to look through the bridge.

stone-arch-river.jpg

This is primarily a composition challenge, so camera settings are up to you. I do have to warn you though, if you're using framing elements that are close to you, you should be aware of your aperture. Make sure your camera's aperture setting is small enough so those close by elements don't come out soft. Read this post on keeping your foreground and background sharp for more information. If you're using your viewfinder while taking your photos, you may also take advantage of your camera's depth of field preview button to make sure you're staying sharp all the way through. Click through the link at the end of this post for that.

When you complete this challenge, be sure to upload your images here for review and critique. Include your specs as well, such as your camera make and model, lens used, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO settings. Include your distance from or scale of your scene as well. We want to know it all so we can get a grasp of what went on while you were shooting and how you managed to take your photos. Good luck.

------

How to Preview Depth-of-Field with a Canon DSLR Camera

Photography Challenge #6 - Framing - Surround Your Subject was posted on 02-05-2020 by JGaulard in the Photography Challenges forum.

Search