Photography Challenge #7 - Placement - Using the Rule of Thirds

• Thread starter JGaulard
  • Start date
JGaulard

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
The Rule of Thirds is all about composition. I actually wrote a post about composition as it pertains to photography, where I discussed this theory. It's actually quite a simple concept. All you need to do is imagine a tic-tac-toe board across your scene and align the most important features of said scene with the lines or the cross points of the tic-tac-toe board. So basically, you've got nine cells over the scene. Move your camera so your subject is in between the cells.

I think what people are looking for when they use the Rule of Thirds is interest. Instead of keeping your subject perfectly centered in your scene, move your camera or your body so your subject is off-centered a bit. By doing this, you'll be adding negative space, which will give your image some balance. It's more artsy too, and people love artsy.

Let's take a look at some examples of what I'm referring to. This first photo is of the Golden Gate Bridge.

golden-gate-bridge.jpg

golden-gate-bridge-rule-of-thirds.jpg

Do you see how much more balanced the scene looks than if the pillar of the bridge were centered in the photo? It's much better this way.

Here's another example. This is a woman drinking coffee.

drinking-coffee.jpg

drinking-coffee-rule-of-thirds.jpg

By offsetting the woman, negative space was created, adding interest and balance to the photo.

And finally, we've got a female sitting on her suitcase. Again, she's not situated at the center of the photo, adding interest to it.

sitting-on-suitcase.jpg

sitting-on-suitcase-rule-of-thirds.jpg

After looking at these photos, I get the feeling that keeping subjects centered is a bit amateurish. Unless, of course, keeping the object centered is to make a bold statement. Then I like it, but that needs to be obvious.

One last thing - you don't need to go nuts with offsetting things in all of your shots. You can take your photos any way you wish and just crop them later on during post-processing so they're interesting.

When you complete this challenge, be sure to upload your images here for review and critique. Include your specs as well, such as your camera make and model, lens used, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO settings. Include your distance from or scale of your scene as well. We want to know it all so we can get a grasp of what went on while you were shooting and how you managed to take your photos. Good luck.

------

Understanding Composition in Photography

Photography Challenge #7 - Placement - Using the Rule of Thirds was posted on 02-06-2020 by JGaulard in the Photography Challenges forum.

Search