Photography Challenge #8 - Golden Ratio - Specific Subject Placement

• Thread starter JGaulard
  • Start date
JGaulard

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
I'm not even going to attempt to explain the Golden Ratio in this post, so I'll lead you to a very thorough article that does a great job at detailing its finer aspects. I think that if I try to write about it here, I'll be going way overboard and you may lose interest in what the challenge actually is. So, with that in mind, please read up on the Golden Ratio. It's actually very cool. Like the author of the article says, "This here is next level stuff." It really is.

Today's challenge is all about composition. I don't want to confuse you with any technical aspects of what your camera can do. Set it to Auto and head out to use the Golden Ratio in your shots. Use the Fibonacci Spiral and position your primary subject where the spiral dictates. Think about different subjects and how their positions affect the mood or impact of your shots. Does the spiral help? Hurt? Does it get in the way? Does it make you overthink your scenes or does it give you direction? More focus, if you will. I tend to think that guidance such as this helps in the beginning, but once you get a feel for what you're doing and as you become more experienced, you just do it rather than think about it.

Take a look at these example photos. Notice where the primary element in each image is located in regards to the Golden Ratio.

spiral-staircase.jpg

spiral-staircase-golden-ratio.jpg

cupcake.jpg

cupcake-golden-ratio.jpg

man-glasses.jpg

man-glasses-golden-ratio.jpg

Since this theory of composition is so much like a few others, such as the Rule of Thirds, I'll say that this one is also a bit artsy. I like the way the subject is offset. It's so much better than being straight on and centered.

Anyway, go ahead and give this challenge a try. You may need to take your photos and then position them correctly in Photoshop to accurately place and take advantage of the Golden Ratio. That's what I did for the sample images.

When you complete this challenge, be sure to upload your images here for review and critique. Include your specs as well, such as your camera make and model, lens used, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO settings. Include your distance from or scale of your scene as well. We want to know it all so we can get a grasp of what went on while you were shooting and how you managed to take your photos. Good luck.

Photography Challenge #8 - Golden Ratio - Specific Subject Placement was posted on 02-08-2020 by JGaulard in the Photography Challenges forum.

Search