Photos of Carrabassett River & Flagstaff Lake in Maine

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
We went out for an unexpectedly wonderful photography trip in northern Maine yesterday. While I'm usually not too keen on photographing during the middle of the day in July, we had some very good luck with what we came across. The lighting was actually very good and the sky was just perfect. As you may already know, too many clouds can be no good and too few clouds can be just as bad. We had a nice arrangement.

My goal for yesterday was to capture some nice landscape scenes with a strong focus on keeping everything in my photos sharp. This meant that I needed to employ some hyperfocal distance calculations as well as use the proper aperture settings. As for the aperture, I decided to go with f/11 while in Aperture Priority mode to give me the clarity I was after as well as keeping the photos sharp. Any smaller of an aperture and I may have entered the diffraction territory. After reviewing my photos, I came to the conclusion that not only were the locations in which we decided to shoot perfect, that my shots were a huge success as well. I am very excited with what I was able to pull off.

I'll put the specs I captured these images with under each photo. I'll also include the lenses I used. Please let me know what you think of these.

We began in a secret spot along the Carrabassett River in Carrabassett Valley, Maine. We entered this location via a small hidden trail and we surprised with the view we encountered. Take a look.

river.jpg

Camera: Canon Rebel T7i
Shutter Speed: 1/250
Aperture: f/11
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 12mm
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6
Aperture Priority Mode
Edited in Adobe Camera Raw

For this next shot, we planted ourselves on a dock on Flagstaff Lake in Eustis, Maine. We were offered one of the best views of the lake as well as of the Bigelow preserve. These Maine mountains certainly are beautiful.

flagstaff.jpg

Focal Length: 24mm
Lens: Canon 24mm, f/2.8
Aperture Priority Mode

And for this final shot, we stopped as we were returning from Eustis. This is in Stratton, Maine, facing east. Again, this is Flagstaff Lake with some mountains in the background. As you can see, not only are the mountains in focus, but the foreground is as well. Mission accomplished.

field.jpg

Focal Length: 12mm
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6
Aperture Priority Mode

Please let me know what you think of these photos. I'd love to get some feedback on them. Next time we head out, I think my focus will be on lighting.