Practicing Waterfall Long Exposure Photography in Industry, Maine

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
A few days ago, my lady and I went on a rather long ATV ride through the hills of Industry, Maine. There are dozens of miles of trails in this region and there's no shortage of fun to be had. Of course, being the amateur photographers we are, we brought along our cameras. Luckily, my ATV offers some large trunk space in which to store such things.

We stopped off to enjoy a few different areas. One such stop was at a fairly secret waterfall-type space at the end of Rand Road. At the end of the road is a parking spot for the Sat Manav Yoga Ashram retreat. I'm not quite sure what goes on this this retreat, but I'll most likely find out one day. They seem like nice people in there. We see them walking on the road every so often.

Anyway, the overall waterfall area consists of multiple smaller falls within Lemon Stream. It's the kind of place where you think all you need to do is point your camera at something and that you'll capture a magnificent looking photo. Unfortunately, it's not that easy. You actually do have to take your time there, but the falls are beautiful and very welcoming.

While I didn't have any gear besides my Canon T7i with me, I tried my hand at some long-exposure photography. Instead of utilizing a tripod, I sat the camera on the rocks and did my best. I think some of the shots came out okay, so I thought I'd share them here. I also took some regular speed photos, but those weren't nearly as interesting.

rand-rd-waterfall.jpg

Camera: Canon Rebel T7i
Shutter Speed: 1 sec
Aperture: f/14
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 24mm
Lens: Canon 24mm, f/2.8
Aperture Priority Mode
Edited in Adobe Camera Raw & Photoshop

lemon-stream-waterfalls.jpg

Shutter Speed: 2 sec
Aperture: f/20
Aperture Priority Mode

smooth-moving-water.jpg

Shutter Speed: 3.2 sec
Aperture: f/22
Aperture Priority Mode

long-exposure-running-water.jpg

Shutter Speed: 3.2 sec
Aperture: f/20
Aperture Priority Mode

What I'm finding is that many of my outdoor photos are coming out more green than I'd like when I shoot in RAW mode. To correct this, I push the Tint slider to the right towards the magenta. This reduces the green in the image and brings it back to a more natural earthy look. Let me know what you think. Thanks!