Samburu Tribal members

Herb

We were fortunate enough to visit a village of the Samburu. The Samburu is a sub-tribe of the Massai in Kenya. I always loved this part of travel, actually getting into the places where the people are, rather than just going to the ritzy spots. The only thing we do not do when visiting the locals is try the food. That's where I draw the line.
I'm not squeamish, I'd just rather not get sick. f 5.6, ISO 400, 1/320, 35 mm (52 mm cropped)

Samburu tribal members.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
Very nice shot Herb. Good color. How did these guys feel about having their photo taken? They seem chilled out enough. Also, I agree about the food. Perhaps if you stayed there for a while and got used to the local fare, but not when you're passing through. I wouldn't risk it either. I've heard too many stories.

Herb

Very nice shot Herb. Good color. How did these guys feel about having their photo taken? They seem chilled out enough. Also, I agree about the food. Perhaps if you stayed there for a while and got used to the local fare, but not when you're passing through. I wouldn't risk it either. I've heard too many stories.
The side trips to the Samburu, and Massai villages were optional trips with a charge of $25.00/person. The money going completely to the villagers. It was understood that photographers were welcome, and the villagers were not to refuse anyone with a camera. Through our guides we were able to converse with these people, and it was quite an experience. Swahili was the language of the day.
We saved our eating for back at the hotel, and of course carried our water with us.

Photographers! Show Off Your Photos!

Advertisement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grallot40