Scuba in Mexico.

Herb

I did not take this photo, but I did do the post processing. My daughter and son in law were on an Island off Cancun, and my son in law who has been training in SCUBA for the last few years finally went on a real serious dive. He took a ton of photos, and I had the opportunity to play with them in photoshop. As often happens, I learned a new tool while working on them.I was fortunate enough to discover a tool I never worked with before. I used the tint slider in RAW to remove the heavy green cast that was in just about all of the underwater shots. It worked like magic !
He was using an Olympus under water camera. f 2.8, 1/240, ISO 133, 3.6 mm (cropped to 20.00 mm)hiding in coral.jpg

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
Very cool shot Herb! Tell your son-in-law that I'm impressed. And nice editing work behind the scenes as well. So you used the Tint slider in Camera Raw? I love that area of the Basic panel. What else did you do to it? Was that the only edit? I need to know everything. You're speaking my language here. Have you read my post on how to make a photo "pop" in Camera Raw? If not, you're going to enjoy that one.

Herb

Well there were about 20 photos that I worked on, so it would be cumbersome to relate what I did for each photo, but I can relate a few tools I used.
When I begin, always in bridge (from my SONY), I launch the ARW into RAW.My son in law shot these in jpg, but as you know, I could still use the RAW work site. First thing I do is crop, and enlarge, I remove hot spots with highlights, and dark spots. With these photos I used the dehaze to crisp it a bit ( they all had that underwater haze), and then the tint to remove the green cast. I always play with clarity after dehaze. I usually use contrast, and then go into tone curves to see if there is any improvement. I then look carefully to see of there are any changes to be made locally, rather than globally. If so, I will usually use the adjustment brush. When I feel I have gone about as far as I could in RAW, I launch into photoshop.
It is here that I do my sharperning. I just about always go to filter,other, and highpass filter, keeping the radius at 12%, and then usually select soft light. Sometimes I may even go to command J, make another copy on top of the sharpened copy, and adjust using the opacity slider. If I see a bit of noise, I throw the photo into dfine 2 . I think that is a very easy and efficient way of noise reduction.
When all done, I sometimes go into NIK collection,Color efex pro to see if there is anything there with that particular photo to enhance.

Very cool shot Herb! Tell your son-in-law that I'm impressed. And nice editing work behind the scenes as well. So you used the Tint slider in Camera Raw? I love that area of the Basic panel. What else did you do to it? Was that the only edit? I need to know everything. You're speaking my language here. Have you read my post on how to make a photo "pop" in Camera Raw? If not, you're going to enjoy that one.

Last edited:

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
That's a pretty nice workflow Herb. Isn't it fun knowing all this stuff about post-processing? I like the way everyone has their own process. We can all learn a lot from one another. Anyway, keep up the good work. Looking good!

Herb

Well there were about 20 photos that I worked on, so it would be cumbersome to relate what I did for each photo, but I can relate a few tools I used.
When I begin, always in bridge (from my SONY), I launch the ARW into RAW.My son in law shot these in jpg, but as you know, I could still use the RAW work site. First thing I do is crop, and enlarge, I remove hot spots with highlights, and dark spots. With these photos I used the dehaze to crisp it a bit ( they all had that underwater haze), and then the tint to remove the green cast. I always play with clarity after dehaze. I usually use contrast, and then go into tone curves to see if there is any improvement. I then look carefully to see of there are any changes to be made locally, rather than globally. If so, I will usually use the adjustment brush. When I feel I have gone about as far as I could in RAW, I launch into photoshop.
It is here that I do my sharperning. I just about always go to filter,other, and highpass filter, keeping the radius at 12%, and then usually select soft light. Sometimes I may even go to command J, make another copy on top of the sharpened copy, and adjust using the opacity slider. If I see a bit of noise, I throw the photo into dfine 2 . I think that is a very easy and efficient way of noise reduction.
When all done, I sometimes go into NIK collection,Color efex pro to see if there is anything there with that particular photo to enhance.
I have to go back and read your article on making a photo POP with RAW.