The Hidden Auto Color Correction Options in Adobe Photoshop

JGaulard

Staff member
Pro Member
I have no idea why Adobe hides such helpful features behind other ones, but I guess that's just the way it is. Luckily, we have the workings of the internet to help us out and to show us all the neat stuff we'd never be able to find ourselves. What I'm referring to here is a few additional "auto" color correction options that can be accessed by pressing the Alt key on your keyboard while pressing a button in a palette. I'll get to that below.

Okay, as you may already know, we can easily add adjustment layers in Photoshop. Today, I'll be referring to the Curves and Levels adjustments. If either one of these adjustment layers are selected for use, the new layer, with mask, will appear in the Layers panel. The corresponding Properties panel will open up as well. Inside of both of these respective Properties panels is an Auto button, which, if pressed, will automatically adjust certain color variables in the image. This is widely known, but what's not so widely known is that if you press the Alt key on your keyboard as you click on the Auto button, a separate dialog box will appear. This dialog is called Auto Color Correction Options and it contains some additional, well, color correction options. While the initial correction option is good, these additional ones maybe more suited to your needs.

I want to let you know that each auto color correction option uses its own algorithm to determine how it's going to edit your image, so it's important that you become familiar with what those algorithms are. If you're interested in learning more about this, you can read the post I wrote on these additional color corrections. I discuss the options in that post. Also, please be aware that even if you studied the algorithms until you were blue in the face and you think that one of them would be perfect for you, it might not be. There's nothing better than trial and error when it comes to this type of thing.

Please do some experimenting with all of the auto color correction choices you have in Adobe Photoshop. You may just end up saving yourself a lot of time in the future if you decide one or more of them is good for you.

Do you have any related suggestions regarding color correction? If so, please share below. Also, if you have any questions regarding this topic, please ask below as well. Thanks!

Photographers! Show Off Your Photos!

Advertisement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaauydaaa