Use Multiple Lenses For Better Photography

CaptainDan

If you're like me, you've got one lens for your DSLR camera. It's probably the kit lens that came with the camera when you bought it. When I purchased my Canon Rebel T3i many years ago, I ordered it with the 18-135mm kit lens. I thought that lens was a step up from the 18-55mm. It was. I loved that lens, but when I sold the camera to a friend, I also sold the lens. That's not such a bad thing because it didn't include the nice quiet STM focusing technology that I needed for video. I'd hear the motor moving inside the lens in the movies I made, which was highly annoying.

Anyway, when I purchased my T7i, I also purchased the new and improved 18-135mm lens that had the STM technology incorporated. I like this lens and it serves me well. I'll tell you though, I'm sitting here right now waiting for the UPS man to deliver my brand new 50mm and 24mm primes lenses though. These are going to definitely step up my game when it comes to my picture taking.

Let me cut to the chase. If you're getting into photography and if you think it'll become a serious part of your life, plan on investing a little bit of money into a few different lenses. Sure, the kit zoom lens is very good and it will handle many instances you come across. But remember this, there's nothing like the feeling of photographing a scene while using a wide angle 10mm. I mean, that's very cool and you can truly squeeze in almost anything you want.

Prime lenses are ultra cool as well. I'll tell you from personal experience that zoom lenses can make you extraordinarily lazy when it comes to photography and your it'll show in your photos. If you've got a zoom lens attached to your camera, you can easily sit in your beach chair all day and snap away. You'll get marginal photos as a result. If you've got a prime lens attached though, you've got to get right up there any involve yourself with the scene. Your angles change and your photos show your creativity. Of course, nothing beats a 600mm zoom for when you're on safari, but when you're walking around town snapping away, think about changing from one lens to the other for different situations. Doing this will give you a feel for what you like and don't like about each one and you'll become so much better at the craft you're trying to get better at.

I'd like to say one final thing here; many prime lenses today are very inexpensive. I'm paying only $125 for the Canon 50mm 1.8 and only $129 for the Canon 24mm 2.8. That's pretty cheap in the world of lenses. Nobody's asking you to spend a fortune, but if you're looking to get better and to learn, you'll need to branch out from that kit lens.