What is a Discussion Forum?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, I'd like to welcome you to our forum! It's an honor to have you here and I truly hope you find what you're looking for.

For many of you, a forum is a new concept. For others, forums are old news. The truth of the matter is, discussion forums have been on the web pretty much since its inception and they're still extremely popular today. Many of the largest and most popular websites on the internet use forums as part of their community strategies. They're helpful, instill a feeling of connectedness and simply put, they get the job done. Forums can be used for anything from discussion boards to classifieds to product listings. They're versatile, to say the least.

So, what exactly is a forum? Here it is; a forum is a place where users can go to make posts about topics they care about. Others can read those posts and contribute to them. What we do as administrators is create general categories for these posts and topics to fall into. For examples of these categories, just visit the homepage of this website and look at the section headings. You're actually inside a category right now. It's called "Community & Website Information." The "Forum" you're in is called "Beginners Start Here" and the "Thread" you're in is called "What is a Discussion Forum?". So categories are the largest areas on the website, with forums coming in second and threads coming in third. Finally, inside of each thread are individual posts. What you're reading is a post. If you decide to reply to this post, your reply would be considered a post. It's that simple.

Discussion forums are sort of like social media websites. They have the capability of allowing people to follow certain contributors (members), follow individual posts or threads and even connect with members by starting private conversations with them in a more personal way. The best part of a forum though is accomplishing a goal. If you have a question about something, you can simply register for an account and post that question in the applicable category and forum. If you want to sell something, again, post what you have for sale. If you think you can help someone with an answer or piece of advice, you can post that too. I think you'll find extraordinary value in a website such as this and I would really love to see you contribute to the community. I've personally used many different types of forums through the years and I found them exceptional at what they're offered.

If you have any questions regarding this website or its operation, please reply below. We'd be happy to help in any way we can.