What's a Good Tripod to Bring Along Hiking?

KristinaW

I plan on going to the mountains this weekend and I'd like to bring a tripod along. I don't own one, so I'll be buying it. I'm looking for something that's good (obviously), but not very heavy. It would be nice if it came with some sort of a travel sack or some type of bag, but that's not critical. I just want it to be tall enough, light enough and to have the capability of me turning my camera from landscape mode to portrait mode while the camera is still attached. Oh yeah, it can't be crazy expensive either. Any advice?

LukeLewis

At one point, I owned the SLIK PRO 700DX Professional Tripod with Panhead for some reason, but I sold it because it was enormous and I couldn't bring it anywhere. Bad choice on my part. I think I paid close to $170 for this one on Amazon. Before I sold it for $50 on Craigslist down in Palm Coast, Florida, I bought another tripod to replace it. I was in the same boat as you. I wanted something lighter and more mobile. I eventually purchased the SLIK Pro 330EZ Tripod with 2-Way Pan/Tilt Head and have been very happy with it. It's like the little brother to the 700DX. It cost about $80-$90 for the tripod and it's got everything you need. It's light, pretty small, tall enough and can go from landscape to portrait. The 700DX has two handles and more maneuverability, but the 330EZ offers a simple twist of the top plate for pretty much the same thing. Check out the 330EZ. You might like it. There are many other tripods in the same category, but this is a good start.

Photographers! Show Off Your Photos!

Advertisement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grallot40