What's the Best Way to Protect the Glass in a Camera Lens?

JGaulard

Staff member
One of the worst things that can happen to a camera lens is to have the lens glass crack. It's a horrible sight. Having the glass crack is terrible, but so it chipping the glass, scratching it and smudging it. Especially smudging it right before you took the shot of your life. There's a lot that can go wrong with camera lenses and much of that can be avoided.

The first a foremost (and easiest) thing you want to do is to protect your lens. There are a number of different ways you can do this. I'll list these below.

1. The way you carry your camera. If you use a camera strap and place that strap over your shoulder or head/shoulder, be sure to place the strap in a direction that will cause your lens to be facing your body, as opposed to be facing away from your body. When it's facing inward, the lens isn't sticking out there to be whacked and bumped into by every passerby. Even you turning your body can cause your camera to swing outward and hit something. This is one of the primary causes of camera damage.

2. Use a UV filter. UV filters were very popular back in the days of film cameras. Today, amateur and professional photographers alike use UV filters as an added layer to protect their camera lenses from all those things I described above. The way they rationalize this is to say that UV filters can be inexpensive to buy. Which would you rather break, a cheap filter or the lens itself? Other than a few edge cases, UV filters don't alter a photograph at all.

3. Attaching a lens hood can keep your lens glass at a distance. Lens hoods add, on average, about an inch of distance between the end of the hood and the most outward glass in a lens. This additional distance keep objects away from the lens and it can even help to keep your hands and fingers away from it as you're reaching for the camera to take a quick shot.

In my opinion, I like the idea of using both a UV filter and a lens hood. The filter keeps dust and scratches away and the lens hood keeps my hands and fingers away. Doubled up is the best protection.

Do you have any tips or tricks you'd like to share? If so, please do below. Thanks!