Question: I’m working in on a project in Photoshop and I would like to make a cutout of a custom shape. It’s a star and I’d like to make it so the photograph only shows where the star is, so basically it would be a star shaped photo. I would like everything else in the photograph to be white. Does anyone know how to do this?
Answer: It sounds like what you want to do is create a vector mask. Photoshop has a lot of different tools that can handle something like this. I’ll tell you what you should do below.
1. Choose your shape via the Custom Shape Tool.
2. Make sure the tool will make a path. (drop-down in options bar).
3. Draw the shape on your image. It will show as an outline (the path).
4. Go to the Layer > Vector Mask > Current Path menu and click that.
5. You should see the photograph turn into your shape.
If you don’t already have the background set to white, you can just add another layer and make that one white. Make sure it’s behind the photo layer though. And that’s all you need to do.